Monday, January 24, 2011

when will i know you, winter?

Today my eyeball liquid froze. What is that stuff called, anyways?

Every year I think I have learned what "winter" entails, then every year I learn just how little I know. Like this crystalllization of my eyelashes.

When I walked inside, the melting eye-sicles looked made me look like I was crying.

Maybe this is why people see Northerners as less friendly--- to avoid accidentally catching someone "crying," they refrain from making eye contact! Friendly or not (and I happen to think the unfriendly thing is a way to help us in the South pat ourselves on the back), the Northerners understand cold weather much better than I do. 

I also learned that all the dirty snow does, in fact, have dirt in it. I suppose we mostly find this out in the springtime, and even then, rains clean up most of the mess for us. Well, my shoes are unfortunately spoiling the springtime surprise.

When I walk into the fitness center to work out, the dirty snow has been gradually melting on the elliptical foot rest (foot active-pad, maybe). As I leave to get water, I notice every time that mud has built up in the active-pad, that I tracked in somehow through the snow, proving once again the similarities between snow and fleas.

Now, if you'll excuse me-- I need a few minutes to bundle up for my journey to the mailbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment